Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Tilt

Solar panels work best when facing the sun directly. Of course. This is particularly important during the seasons when the sun is low in the sky, like now. That’s why nearly every solar panel installation you see is tilted to the south. (Well, okay, in the southern hemisphere they’re tilted to the north.)

Many van dwellers try to get by with their solar panels facing up, in a fixed position. I did. But with a low sun, short days and occasional overcast, I was having trouble keeping my batteries charged.

So:

Thanks to Mark Cabral for the loan of his ladder and cordless drill. And for his thoughts on how to hinge the panel.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Just found your blog from your comment over at Bob's Cheap RV Living. I've read through all your posts and have enjoyed reading about your travels. I like how your van is setup. You have some really nice pictures of places I will have to check out one day. Keep up the great work with your blog, looking forward to following your travels.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I'm camped 100 feet north of Al.......his van is very well done....it impressed me the monemt Al showed it to me.
    Al's a great guy too.

    Ok Al, now I want those photos.... LOL

    DelMont

    ReplyDelete