Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Because I'm insane

The plan had been to cross the Sierras via Yosemite. From there I'd see a friend in Stockton and another in San Francisco. Then I'd mosey down the coast. That made sense, but, eh, I wasn't really feeling it.

Even though it's post-Labor Day weekend, getting a camping spot in Yosemite would require some hustling. And there are almost no free places to camp along the California coast.

I think I've had my temporary fill of mountains. After a while it all looks the same. Then there's the issue of getting enough of a clearing in the trees to make the solar panel happy. And there's the whole bear box thing. Oh, and the outrageous gas prices.

Then I read a friend's blog. I hadn't seen her since April. She has been dealing with some life challenges without much support. Presto, I had a new plan, a new direction. She's in Cottonwood, Arizona. That's where I knew I needed to go.

I figured as long as I was schlepping, I might as well swing by Yuma and cross the border to restock my medications. Even though it's usually the hottest place in the country. It was 112° today. Excellent timing, huh? Passing Imperial Dunes it was very easy to imagine myself in the Arabian Desert. Of course, there was no way I was going to try sleeping in the Rolling Steel Oven. I got a hotel room. I'll head off before sunrise to beat some of the heat. Cottonwood is 3,000 feet higher than Yuma, so it will be in the "balmy" mid-90s instead. Don't say goodbye to summer yet.

7 comments:

  1. My motto: the plan is no plan. It allows for fast (or slow) changing of the plans when there are some such things. Plans are made to be changed. Glad you're heading out to help your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know... tell her I said hi! (I was trying to think of some way to not name names, since you didn't either and it wasn't really working :) ) Making friends like you both are what made last January so cool for me. Can't wait till I see you both again...

      Delete
  2. Wow! Now, that's is a change of plans! Oh, well. Looks like Yosemite can wait until next year. I'm starting to look squinty-eyed at my finances and I may have to squeeze out the quickest, most direct route back to the desert, which (without looking at a map) I think is route 5. But, there's no way under the sun I'll be joining ya'll until around Novemberish....if the plans in jello stick. Wonder if Bob's doing Thanksgiving again. Can't believe I'm even thinking like that since I hate the holidays and would rather hole up. But, people can change. Even me. Just getting eager to see the crew again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holidays were invented to force introverts out of hiding for a couple of hours.

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased you are headed where I wish I could go. Helping friends is what it is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cottonwood! One of my favorite places. Glad you're helping your friend. I'm still grateful for the help you gave me. :) I won't get to AZ until next month sometime. Hope to see you eventually.

    ReplyDelete