Saturday, September 6, 2014

It's no secret

I research potential campsites, routes, points of interest, discounts and whatnot online.

"There's this quiet, out-of-the-way location with a great view. And it's free."

"We learned of this place from a lady at the laundromat. Only the locals know about it."

And so on.

The thing is, if I can discover the info, so can anyone else who knows how to use Google. The secrets cease to be secrets once they go online. The quiet places become crowded. You make the combination of turns down dirt roads only to discover someone else is already there.

I suppose if I were a hacker I could delete the great finds or block anyone else's access to the info once I have it. Bwah-ha-ha. But maintaining this blog is about the extent of my computer skills. I'll just need to readjust my expectations. "Secret" is relative, somewhere on the scale between Previously Unknown to Humans, and Duh.

If there's a photo on the Web, someone has already been there

1 comment:

  1. Plagiarism is the foundation of civilization.

    ReplyDelete