Saturday, November 29, 2014

Palm Canyon, Kofa National Wildlife Refuge

If one hadn't done a wee bit of googling beforehand about Palm Canyon, one might be disappointed. The canyon is not filled with palms. There's just one crevice with fifteen or so of them. What makes them significant is that they're the only naturally occurring California Fan Palms in Arizona. Which makes one wonder how they got there in the first place. Bird poo, I suppose.

You can climb all the way up to the palms if you're the rock climber/mountaineer type. I'm not.

If you came just to see the palms, you might fail to notice what a nice place the canyon is at about 10:30 on a November morning. Quite. Startling fresh air. Interesting light on the canyon walls. There's a chance of seeing desert big horn sheep and other critters (it's a wildlife refuge, after all), though I saw none. I didn't care. I was happy.

The Rolling Steel Tent is parked somewhere down there

It's not the easiest trail, but an old fart like me made it up and back without incident

Sheesh, some people

No comments:

Post a Comment