Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Partying with the pack

At about 1:15 this morning, coyotes started barking and howling just outside the Rolling Steel Tent. Well, actually, the barking was more like yapping and the howling was more like ah-e-e-E-E-E-e-e-e-e-e-e-e, as if someone was blowing a tiny but loud party horn. The one doing the howling was right next to the van while the barkers were scattered a little way off. It went on for about fifteen minutes.

I decided they were upset I hadn't left any chicken bones for them. "Hey human! Feed us!" Sorry to disappoint, guys. I don't eat chicken every day.

It was interesting and a little amusing, but I figured the other campers weren't much interested in a coyote serenade. At least not at that hour. So I opened and closed the side door. The ruckus stopped. I got back into bed.

The noise started again about a minute later, but this time the howler was farther away. The pack made a fuss for a couple of minutes more, then quieted down and moved off. Hurray for nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment