Saturday, March 7, 2015

Podunk, or not?

I was a citified guy when I first saw Quartzsite, Arizona during a coast-to-coast trip. "What a dump!" I thought in my best Bette Davis voice. (It didn't help that it was summer and a hundred-bazillion degrees.)

Since becoming a van dweller, I've been in Quartzsite and other small towns like it many times. (Today, for example.) My perspective has changed. Because I spend so much time away from civilization, any wide spot in the road with gas and groceries is a beautiful oasis. A town with several gas stations, a couple of grocery stores, some chain stores and a few fast food joints, a mechanic or two, a bank, a post office and a library might as well be a major metropolitan area.

Cities have become resource centers for me rather than places to live. I measure them by what I can get there before moving on. I judge them for their utility. Aesthetics and livability don't matter much.

Before discovering van dwelling, I'd been researching places I might like to live out my retirement years. All the stuff on my checklist kept me from finding the perfect town. I mean, if you're going to plant yourself somewhere—possibly the last somewhere—you want all your criteria satisfied, right? Then I realized I didn't need to anchor myself. I could go from place to place, enjoying what they had to offer. Sometimes it might be only a tank of gas and a restroom. Excellent.

4 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to see your checklist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something like:
      - pleasant year-round weather featuring low humidity
      - low cost of living
      - stable or growing economy
      - low taxes
      - moderate politics
      - college town
      - airport
      - fresh bagels
      - good Mexican food
      - Target
      - useful public transportation

      But I learned that desirable places aren't cheap, because everyone wants to live there. And the cheap places are cheap because no one wants to live there.

      Delete
  2. intersting list. I know a couple of towns that fit all but inexpensive cost of living. In w. Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colorado has actual winters, thereby failing my pleasant year-round weather requirement. ;^)

      Delete