Sunday, May 3, 2015

Birdman

These birds are all over the campground. Thanks to Google, I learned they're Coastal California Western Scrub Jays. They fist caught my attention when one landed outside the Rolling Steel Tent with a tortilla chip in its mouth. It dropped the chip, pecked at it until it broke into smaller pieces, and then, instead of eating them, it hid them in various spots among the tufts of grass or cracks in the ground.

Life at a campground makes them rather bold. Every now and then one would hop up into the van as if asking, "Got anything here for me? No? See ya." After many attempts, I finally got a photo. This nature photography thing takes patience and luck. And a few tortilla chips.

I wish I'd gotten a shot of the one that flew in the driver window and out the side door

3 comments:

  1. feeding the birds in Pismo is a $200 fine, if you get caught.

    ReplyDelete