Monday, June 22, 2015

The things one learns

I was getting groceries in Joseph Oregon when I saw the sign above. I had never heard of apriums and, because of the way the sign was situated, I couldn't tell which ones were atriums.

Google led me to an article, though, about not only apriums but also pluots.

The friendly farmer, Tony Inzana, introduced me to pluots and apriums, complex hybrids of plum and apricot, or, in science-speak, interspecifics. Inzana held out a rosy specimen, rubbing the smooth, purple-black skin of a flavorosa pluot lovingly between his thumb and forefinger. Because a pluot is mostly plum, it looks more like a plum than an apricot. However, its insides are soft and grainy, unlike the firm flesh of a plum. I took one bite, and its floral and candy-sweet flavor exploded in my mouth, and juice dripped all over my fingers. 
The aprium, on the other hand, has skin covered with scant fuzz and tastes like a sweeter apricot with a hint of plum.

So, I guess the ones on the bottom are apriums. But what are the ones above? And where are the tangelos?

No comments:

Post a Comment