Monday, July 27, 2015

The Winchester Mystery Van

When I mentioned my idea for the latest improvement to the Rolling Steel Tent, Lou said my series of little projects reminded him of the Winchester Mystery House. "Well, yeah," I said, "but I don't have a ghost problem. That I know of. Just some ugly wires."

(For those who don't know, Sarah Winchester, widow of gun magnate William Wirt Winchester, believed she could put to rest the ghosts of victims of Winchester rifles by constantly adding onto her house in San Jose, California. Because, sure, that makes perfect cause-effect sense.)

Since the RST was originally a cargo van, there were no panels covering the wires in the back, as with a passenger van. No big deal, but I figured as long as I was doing other improvements, I might as well cover the wires over the back doors.

Before. Yuck.

I had spent two years staring at the wires and thinking of solutions. An obvious one would be to scrounge wrecking yards for the panel from a passenger van. But that would be a lot of time and phone calls or web searching. And probably more than I wanted to pay. So I built a cover from plywood.

That looks better

As with the curtain project, the tricky part was fitting it to the curves. It turned out better than I'd feared. I'm happy, and I assume the ghosts are, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment