Saturday, February 13, 2016

Adventures in Mexican canned goods: Chilorio

The fun thing about shopping in Mexican supermarkets is seeing the different types of food and, sometimes, trying to figure out what they are and how they might taste. Chilorio? What's that? Some kind of chili con carne, I guessed.

I checked the ingredients. Pork, vegetable protein, mixture of chiles, lard, fruit vinegar, spices, garlic and sea salt. That sounded like it could be good. There was a lot of shelf space devoted to it, so it must be a big seller. What the hell. I got a couple of cans.

Back at the Rolling Steel Tent, I opened the can with trepidation. Ummm, okay, no weird smells. A bit of heat rising from the chilies. And the meat was recognizable as actual meat rather than mush. I took a taste as it heated. Woo! Nice and spicy.

The leftovers

I ate it with some toasted corn tortillas. The chilies had a little bite without being overbearing. I could taste the pork. Not too much salt. Nothing chemical-ish about it. I gave it two thumbs up.

3 comments:

  1. As a vegetarian, I'd have to give it a pass. Is your friend doing better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More meat than one would expect. What was its cost in Mexico?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember, but it wasn't much. About a buck, I think.

      Delete