Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Do re me fa so la te do

If you ever pass through Phoenix and have a few hours to spare, I highly recommend the Musical Instrument Museum. There are instruments from all over the world. Some are familiar, some are very alien. Some look like they can't possibly work, or that you need several hands, feet and mouths to play them. You get a headset that synchs to various videos so you can hear what the instruments sound like.

There was so much to see, so rather than load this post down with photos, I'll show a couple of the odder instruments.

Above is what you get when you cross a violin with a trumpet. I guess someone thought the world needed a louder violin. Below is the evil spawn of a trumpet and a player piano. You blow and crank, which sounds a bit obscene.

I failed at several musical instruments, yet my mother insisted I perform anyway. Because humiliation is good for you, right? So I totally understand that someone might want to keep his identity a secret while playing. I think this guy is struggling through Mary Had a Little Lamb.


1 comment: