Saturday, March 5, 2016

No harm

It was extremely busy at the Pemex station I pulled into in San Felipe. The SCORE off-road racers were in town and it seemed like everyone wanted to fill up at the same time. They were short of pump jockeys. The ones they had were running around, getting flustered, going crazy. Before I could say anything, one of them started pumping diesel fuel into the Rolling Steel Tent, which has a gasoline engine.

"Whoa! Alto! Alto! No diesel, gasolina!"

He had pumped a couple of liters before before I could stop him. But I didn't panic, because a few weeks previous I happened to have seen a video demonstrating what happens if you accidentally put diesel fuel in a gas vehicle and gasoline in a diesel vehicle. (I can't find the video now, otherwise I'd link to it.) They run like crap but... once you put the right fuel in, they run like they're supposed to, with no real damage. So I figured two liters of diesel mixed in thirty-three gallons of gasoline wouldn't be anything to worry about. It might be no different than bad gasoline. And I was right. I noticed nothing odd at all. Thank you, Internet, for peace of mind.

2 comments:

  1. What if you attach a sign on the gas tank inlet stating: ' GASOLINA ONLY, NO DIESEL FUEL ' that way hopefully you're covered.

    ReplyDelete