Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Overflow parking

Before I arrived at the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, I'd heard/read reports of over 300 rigs of various types, and about 500 people of even more types. I was a little skeptical of the numbers. More than twice as many as last year? Now that I'm here, those numbers were totally believable.

Wow. It's packed.

Most RTR attendees like some space between themselves and others, even when the others are good friends. There's just not space for that this year. The primary area is loaded up more like an RV park where the rigs are so close the slide-outs touch and you can hear your neighbors snore and fart. That's an exaggeration, but still...

But there's room in adjoining areas for those who value privacy and quiet over easy social access. That's where I am. I call it overflow parking. One turn-off before the main RTR entrance, two forks to the right. A straight path to the meeting area takes me about a quarter mile down into and up out of six washes. Going out to the road and back is about a half mile. Either way, I need to head back before dark. Don't want to get eaten by coyotes.

I eventually found Bob Wells, the creator of RTR. Gesturing at the roaming masses I asked, "What have you wrought?"

He shook his head, "I'm not sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment