Tuesday, March 14, 2017

They're like me

Each morning, as soon as the gate opens at Doheny Beach State Park (and at other state parks), folks who live in RVs and other vehicles flash their annual pass and file into the day use parking lots. Some choose the large lot by the entrance. Others choose the lot right on the beach. Some have claimed "their spot." They spend all day and then, just before the gate closes, they leave for whatever overnighting spots they've managed to find. That's no simple trick in wealthy coastal communities. They must commute to less hoity-toity cities. Here's an article about this. 

The main difference between these people and me is that they're committed to this area and I'm just passing through. They live here. I visit. So while they're considered homeless and a problem by small-minded building dwellers, I can pass as a tourist. Oh, and I pay for the campground so I can stay at night. But if I had a sure-thing, no-harassment, stealth camping spot somewhere, I would absolutely do this.

7 comments:

  1. "But if I had a sure-thing, no-harassment, stealth camping spot somewhere, I would absolutely do this."

    So why don't you do it? You've got a perfect, stealthy rig. I parked in the exact same spot every night for over a month in Melbourne, FL: http://mysticsjournal.com/downwardly-mobile/ . Very similar place. Beach during the day (when I didn't have family obligations), and sleep in the industrial park at night. Piece of cake and pretty sweet.

    Shouldn't take you more than an afternoon to find a spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have found a place. It's on an odd street on the city limits with mobile homes on one side and commercial offices on the other. It's a clean, well kept street. Behind the offices are a river and nature area. It's a dead end street, so it should be quiet. For some reason the city hasn't posted any parking restrictions. The question is whether there's any sketchy nighttime activity that would annoy me or cause police to patrol the area for suspicious vehicles—like vans.

      Delete
    2. Excellent! I didn't mean my comment as a criticism, just as an example of what we can do if we push our boundaries/comfort level a little. I got into this lifestyle for the freedom and I've found that main thing that limits my freedom is my own damn mind! (What if? What if? What if?)

      The mind, it's a terrible thing to have. :)

      Delete
  2. However, while overnight parking would be legal on the street in question, further research revealed there's a city-wide ban on sleeping/living in vehicles. So the question is whether I want to play that game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you notice the follow-up in the news link?..The main person in the story just passed away at the age of 57...
    Sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that. But even though he died at 57, he had years of living in a wonderful spot. Most people never have that.

      Delete
  4. I agree..I just wondered if you saw it....Whenever someone gives me a link to a news-place I like to explore and see what's happening in a different area...It's amazing how news from some places have a whole different view from where we are...

    ReplyDelete