Sunday, July 9, 2017

Keeping a cool head

My sympathies go out to those who have been suffering through triple-digit heat this summer. Even though it's cooler up here at 7,000+ feet, it's still warmer than I like. But, as they say, it's a dry heat. That means various forms of evaporative cooling can work. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

During my post-lunch siesta (hurray for retirement) I did the old Damp Wash Cloth On the Face Trick. It was assisted by the shade inside the Rolling Steel Tent, a bit of natural breeze through the open doors, and my O2 Cool fan. The fan was about eight feet away.

It's surprising how just having a cool forehead makes the rest of me feel sufficiently comfortable. Hey, the brain is the most important part, right?

One particularly hot day when I had to work in the sun I soaked my ball cap. That was great, except for the occasional drip onto my work. If it had been seriously hot I could have soaked my shirt as well.

When we're not living in buildings, when we don't have easy access to climate control and the gobs of power it takes to run it, the key is to heat/cool the body rather than the space. And sometimes it only needs to be part of the body.

4 comments:

  1. Your photographs of your lovely area are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your forehead, my feet. Cool the rest of me, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been spending a lot of time lately putting my bare feet on cool tile.

    ReplyDelete