Monday, July 3, 2017

The Jung and the restless

A Jungian archetypes quiz showed up on a friend’s Facebook feed. Here’s a heavy duty explanation of Jungian archetypes, and here’s a lightweight one.

I’m no disciple of Carl Jung (Freud neither, for that matter) but psychology and culture are interesting. So, what the hell, I took the quiz.

I wasn’t surprised it concluded I have a lot in common with the Explorer archetype. I was only surprised the quiz wasn’t totally wrong, like most other online quizzes I’ve done. (No, I’m not 23 years old. My true passion is not economics. I don’t binge watch Star Trek: The Next Generation. My power color isn’t maroon. And so on.)

This is supposedly the Jungian Explorer:
Motto: Don't fence me in
Core desire: the freedom to find out who you are through exploring the world
Goal: to experience a better, more authentic, more fulfilling life
Biggest fear: getting trapped, conformity, and inner emptiness
Strategy: journey, seeking out and experiencing new things, escape from boredom
Weakness: aimless wandering, becoming a misfit
Talent: autonomy, ambition, being true to one's soul
Yeah. I'll buy that, if only because it’s telling me what I want to hear. However, I don't consider aimless wandering a weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment