Saturday, January 13, 2018

Is it a sickness or a cure?

I’ve wandered around a lot in the four and a half years since I’ve become a full time nomad. A day here, a couple of days there, a day farther down the road, and so on. And on.

It’s not that I haven’t yet found the perfect spot to settle into. I’ve been to some great places, places my former self would’ve been thrilled to live the rest of my days. But that was then. Now I could have a free place on the beach, with perfect weather, and good friends, and I’d still be itching to take off after a week or so.

Is it like getting out of prison after serving a 61-year sentence? Is it a fear of commitment? Is it too much curiosity? Is it because I hear the big clock ticking and catch occasional glimpses of the Grim Reaper? Is that I’m one of those people who doesn’t form a lot of attachments? Is it that I just haven’t found contentment yet?

I don’t know. But I’m not going to spend much time wondering about it. Wandering works for me. At least at the moment.

6 comments:

  1. I think their are people who can't or don't want to settle and people that do. I have a little RV and a home and am 63, so I am ready to retire. I can't envision myself without a home to come back to. I have traveled a lot since my youth and I always had astrong drive to go home after about a month or so. I have learned that my trips need to be short with a return home. I will be taking a 2 month trip in the spring to the Yukon and Alaska and the Queen Charlotte's for 2 months but for me, it is important to have a base. We are all different but I believe most people do what they want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the previous comment.I enjoy travel,but I love to come back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does that mean you're already leaving the RTR? After you put up your canopy? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still there, but I did move to a less crowded area.

      I can stay somewhere for several weeks if there's compelling reason. For example, I stayed in Ridgway CO most of the past two summers to help Forrest with his projects. But I took breaks to do a little wandering.

      Delete
  4. From personal experience that is a wonderful affliction you have. Enjoy the heck out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our ancestors were nomads. Living in one spot is historically weird.

    ReplyDelete