Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Arrived

At the Pavement Ends sign I cross my fingers and hope the first-come-first-served campground at the end of a washboarded, potholed road isn’t full. In case it is, I shift into my Just Exploring mindset. I’ll go see what there is to see, add new things to my bank of experiences and knowledge. A place to stay would be a bonus.

A ranger pulls over to let me squeeze by on the narrow road. I return the favor for a couple in a Subaru, and then for several others. Are they vacating campsites or have they turned around after learning the campground was full?

I wonder if it’s too early for campers to be breaking camp. When is the magical site availability gap in this neck of the woods, on a Tuesday in mid-August?

There was a sign declaring the road was unsuitable for large vehicles, so that should filter out some of the campsite competitors, right?

I arrive and there are plenty of vacant sites, though the ones by the river are probably never available, handed down from generation to generation. I find a solar-friendly spot, rare in the rain forest. It’s also a short stroll to the toilet, which a park employee has just finished cleaning.

By 1:30 it’s just me and the folks with waterfront sites. Sweet.

3 comments: