Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Well there’s your problem

I’m at Villanueva Auto Repair and Juan has yanked the brake booster from the Rolling Steel Tent. There were a number of things that had to be moved out of the way or disconnected first. Wires, hoses, cables, reservoirs, dirt... It seems one of the internal seals has worn out. Or a surface is too worn for the seal to, um, seal. Anyway, replacing the unit is less expensive than the labor to repair it.

Since the van doesn’t need to be on a lift, I can hang out in my living space instead of the waiting room. The bed is much more comfy than plastic chairs. And I have food.

Speaking of food, I’ve finally been able to add bread back to my diet. Today’s lunch was black forest ham on a toasted English muffin.

12 comments:

  1. I've been debating whether to flush my brake fluid...or not.

    What sayeth Juan?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many more miles do you still think are available;on the RST. Best guess I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My 2007 Chevy Express final mileage at the time it croaked was 234K.

      Delete
    2. So the Rolling Steel Tent, at 270k, is somewhere between already dead or only halfway there (478k) :D

      Delete
  3. The mayor of Hurley has 5 2006-7 express vans, I rode in one with 478,000 miles on it. Drive em till your sick of looking thru the windshield.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Change the fluids. That's ALL he did, same motor and trans.

      Delete
  4. Most of the fluids in an engine/transmission do not "wear out" but they do need to have the corrosion prevention etc additives replenished. On small engines and transmissions like in our vehicles the cheapest way to do that is just replace the fluid entirely about every 200K miles.

    ReplyDelete