Saturday, March 4, 2023

Cactuswacking


I do better with destination oriented hikes than with let’s-walk-a-few-miles-this-way-and-back hikes. And this rock formation looked like a good goal. I couldn’t really tell how far or large it was, so I’d go find out. And I’d walk there as straight as I could, without a trail.




It was about a mile across stony, gravely ground; over hills and down into washes and back out; finding the way between Saguaros, ocotillos, cholla, mesquite, and creosote bushes. The ground at the base of the formation was steep an loose, and the formation walls were essentially vertical, so there was no going farther. At least for me.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along on your desert hike. I enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it was challenge enough. Good for you for reaching a specific destination.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful area to be camped in. The formation of those rocks has often made me think of parents with a child.

    One winter there were nightly exercises over the Goldwater range. A-10s would take target practice at what looked like floating lanterns. It was neat to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking me along. I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete