Tuesday, April 18, 2023

I'll get a big charge out of this

I saw the FedEx guy coming so I met him in the yard. He delivered the first part of my upgraded solar power system. Twice as many Amp hours, half as many connections.

So old curmudgeon me is taking a giant step into 2019, embracing lithium battery technology. I’ve read up on them enough to answer my concerns.

I imagine the system that has faithfully served me the past ten years probably feels (if it has feelings) like a middle-aged wife getting dumped for a 20-year-old. I had no major complaints with it. I just had to be careful with my electrical usage in the winter.

The switch to a LiFePo4 battery means I need a compatible charge controller. And so I gather enough sunlight to keep the battery charged, I’m retiring my 270 Watt panel for two 200 Watt panels. There’s j-u-u-u-u-u-s-t enough room on the Rolling Steel Tent’s roof for them. 

Even though the old system didn’t short out or cause any fires, it wasn’t wired quite right or efficiently. So I’m redoing all my wiring.

Oh, and the repair shop called today. The new engine hadn’t arrived or even been shipped. The supplier said it hadn’t been ordered. Then they said it had but they wouldn’t have one for another month or more. So my shop is looking for a new supplier. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. > The switch to a LiFePo4 battery means I need a compatible charge controller.

    If the existing one has configurable setpoints you can probably use it.
    https://rvwiki.mousetrap.net/doku.php?id=electrical:12v:drop-in_lifepo4#mythyou_can_t_charge_li_with_a_lead_battery_charger

    Built-in lithium profiles are usually too aggressive IMO.


    > I’m retiring my 270 Watt panel for two 200 Watt panels.

    Nice upgrade. The LFP will charge at least 10% more efficiently as well, so you should be rolling in power. I downsized from 220Ah of FLA to 100Ah of LFP when the old golf carts wore out. No regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have/use or would you use a separate power bank ie; Jackery or Bluetti? Will you have them wire a house charging cable from the alternator? Isolater switch thing-a mabob?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No and no. A separate power bank would take up too much room, and charging from the alternator hasn't been necessary.

      Delete