Friday, June 2, 2023

So far

I was in town on other business this morning and decided to stop by the auto repair shop to see how things were going with the Rolling Steel Tent’s heart transplant. Some shops have strict liability-based rules against non-employees being in the shop, but the folks at R&L turned out to be cool.

The first chore when doing major repairs on a van engine is creating access to it.  Grill, bumper, radiator, core support, fan shroud, air filter and intake, hoses, cables, wires, pipes… All that stuff has to go. Then it’s time to remove accessories like the alternator, power steering pump, and water pump. That’s how far in the process the mechanic was when I dropped by. This is the ugly, sad looking stage of engine replacement.

I had already removed some things from the interior to maximize access to the engine and simplify the mechanic’s job. Just before delivering the van I decided to remove the mattress as well so it wouldn’t soak up garage odors. Good thing I did, because the mechanic is storing parts on the bed platform. Hmmmm, okay.

The service rep said everything had been going smoothly so far. I hope that’s more than just a standard customer-pleasing response.

7 comments:

  1. Good thing you took the mattress out. Storing greasy engine parts on your bed platform is not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of scary to see your home torn apart! But it'll be like a new van when they finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be scarier if I were trying to do it myself.

      Delete
  3. So, having worked my way back, here I find R&L did the engine. Do they not do tranny swaps? You sounded satisfied with their work; did something change? Did Twisted Wrenches give a lower quote?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just spreading the love around. And I have a fondness for small Latino operated shops.

      Delete
  4. I can understand. Kristen and I happened into Mr. Tadao's shop in Douglas, AZ, a year or so earlier. I was so impressed I drove down from Tucson to get him to do Phoebe's CVC joints. I think he charged about half what my guy in Albuq would've. And he got on it within a couple of days. Exceptionally accomodating.

    ReplyDelete