Wednesday, October 23, 2013

At the edge of the continent

It's a little corny, but after returning to the beach after a long absence I can't help but think of these lyrics. They're especially apropos considering where I've spent the past few weeks.

     After nine days, I let the horse run free
     'Cause the desert had turned to sea
     There were plants and birds, and rocks and things
     There was sand and hills and rings
     The ocean is a desert, with it's life underground
     And a perfect disguise above


The desert and beach both have sand and the potential for sunburn, but there the similarity ends. 

I don't know why we humans love staring at water. Some say we evolved from "water apes" and that the affinity for water is in our genes. I say don't ask why, just enjoy it.







When I first moved to Los Angeles back in 1976, I didn't stop driving until I got to Santa Monica Beach. I parked my crappy car, took off my shoes, crossed the sand and walked knee deep into the water. I had arrived at the edge of the continent. And I loved it.

So, after having had my fill of the desert, I plan on spending at least equal time by the sea. Warm, cold, clear, foggy, dry, wet... The rest of the West Coast awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment