Tuesday, August 21, 2018

In a van, but not down by the river

I had been seeing fishing access signs like this as I traveled through Montana. “Hmmm, I wonder if camping is allowed at these riverside spots.” So I googled Montana fishing access camping and got my answer: Some of them.

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks provides maps and charts and a pile of information, including which fishing access points allow camping. I cross-referenced their info with my Montana atlas and Google Maps. I plotted a route from Missoula to Great Falls that would take me past seven of them.

When I pulled into the first one I quickly learned something I hadn’t bothered to glean from the state’s information. There’s a fee for camping. In my case it would be $18 per night since I’m not a Montana resident nor do I have a fishing license. That spoiled my dream of lazy days watching rivers flow by, moving from one fishing access spot to another. I had imagined it would be free. Because I like free.

But I checked out three of them. I had expected nothing more than a pullout with a pit toilet—river access where you’re allowed to stay overnight, like dispersed camping. But they were more like small, basic campgrounds with a day use area and boat ramp. The good thing was that they were essentially empty, what with it being a Monday. And drizzly.

So I adjusted my plans. I wallydocked in Great Falls and this morning I’m heading up to the Missouri Breaks area. Too bad I can’t afford a four-day float trip and pretend I’m Lewis & Clark. Or Sacajawea.

2 comments:

  1. How much does it cost for the fishing license?..Would that make it worthwhile?
    Upriver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://fwp.mt.gov/fish/license/availableLicenses.html

      Delete