Thursday, August 2, 2018

Where did you say I am?

Oregon has some tricky place names—or names I didn’t know were tricky until I learned how the locals pronounce them.

Part of my problem is after a couple of decades living in California and then traveling around the Southwest and Mexico, I tend to test unfamiliar words by applying Spanish pronunciation rules. But most of the tricky names in Oregon are anglicized Native America names. And some are… I don’t know what. But not Spanish. And there seem to be no consistent rules. It would be helpful if the Welcome to ____________ signs included phonetic spellings.

Luckily, I came across an article on The Oregonian site featuring audio clips of how to pronounce various names. Thanks to them I learned:
Nehalem is Nuh-HAY-lum  
Yachats is YA-hots (with a short A, as in cat) 
Heceta Head is Huh-KEE-tuh Head
Umatilla is YOU-muh-TIL-uh  
Philomath is Fil-O-muth 
Yaquina is Yuh-KWIN-uh  
Champoeg is Sham-POO-ee
See what I mean? It’s as if the rule is to imagine the most incorrect way to say a name, and that’s the correct way. So I propose new pronunciations for some other Oregonian names.
PortlandPortal-AINED  
EugeneEH-yug-EN-ee 
SalemSaw-LUM 
CorvallisCor-vale-EEZ 
AstoriaASS-toh-REE-uh
I’m certain those will catch on quickly.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Puyallup
    2. Tillicum...my friend giggles at that pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete