Monday, April 1, 2024

Perfect procrastination

First day of the month. I decided it was a good day to do laundry. I had plenty of clean clothes, but the full-ish laundry bag was getting difficult to squeeze back under the bed. 

I could go early, but a lot of people go then. Besides, I had also told myself it was a good day to mow back the beard. 

Then there was breakfast. I hadn’t done an actual breakfast the past week or so. Chorizo and eggs. Yum. Then do the dishes.

Then check email, social media, the news, the humor. Watch two YouTubers I subscribe to. Fall down a rabbit hole about John Adams.

Rest my eyes. Try not to turn it into a nap. Think about the laundry. Decide which laundromat to use.

It’s nearly lunchtime, and though I’m not having any, everyone in Yuma will be. That means traffic. I’ll wait a bit.

On the way to town I think about how I’m familiar with how crowded laundromats usually are in the morning but how I don’t really have any data regarding post-lunch use. Fingers crossed.

The place is busy but there are washers available. I’m surprised a majority of the patrons are blue-collar men and old farts like me. I load the washer then go back to the Rolling Steel Tent to relax.

By the time my alarm chirped there only half as many people and plenty of dryers. Lightweight things in one dryer, heavier things in another. Back to the van.

The number of customers had grown by the time my things were dry, but there were still two vacant folding tables. I grabbed one. (One reason I like this laundromat is the sufficiently roomy folding tables.)

There were even more people by the time I finished folding. Looks like I had slipped into the perfect time slot. For this particular day, anyway. If I hadn’t dawdled just right I would’ve hit one of the busier periods. Hurray for luck!

3 comments:

  1. Aye, Laddie, the days of yore when a man could sit and enjoy a pint while the women did all the shopping & laundry are far behind us. We've been dumped for younger fellows and now wander the food aisles and laundromats by our lonesomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes the stars align and things work out well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Planning ahead: you might enjoy this get-together

    https://blog.glaciermt.com/north-american-indian-days-and-the-blackfeet-nation/

    The area is really pretty and if you're feeling adventurous you could take the "trunk road" (maybe hiway 40?) up the east side of the rockies, cross over at Banff and come down 93 on the west side. Jus' thinkin'.

    ReplyDelete