Sunday, April 21, 2024

Unpleasant visitor

Mr. Paranoia stopped by the Rolling Steel Tent this afternoon. He wanted to know why I was here, what I was doing, and who was paying me to do it. He pointed to my cellular antenna and claimed I was monitoring him and/or jamming his signals. He went on and on about being a law-abiding guy with never so much as a traffic ticket. So why were they after him? And again, why was I here, of all places, near him. He wasn’t buying my story. He took my picture. I couldn’t tell if there was tin foil beneath his ball cap. But I think I heard a few loose screws rattling in there as he rode away on his minibike.

UPDATE: I had already planned on leaving tomorrow, but I decided it was wiser to move along today. Irrational people are capable of doing irrational things.

The new location 20 miles away

3 comments:

  1. I have run across a few of those in my 50 years of camping. So far no trouble from any of them. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise choice, that dude definitely sounded like one of the tinfoil hat brigade, no doubt with voices in his head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you read any of Bruce Chatwin's stuff? You might like *Songlines* (Penguin, 1988).

    ReplyDelete