Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Feeling that trapped thing again

Since I chase mild, dry weather as much as possible, I end up spending most of the winter in the desert, at lower elevations.

My recent visit to the coast happened to hit a weather sweet spot between a cold spell and a major storm front. Now I’m back near Yuma. Again. There’s a lot to like here. Plenty of boondocking space, no time limit enforcement, easy access to supplies, strong cell signal. But I’m struggling against sameness. Or, rather, I’m struggling against the part of me that fled the sameness of living in a building and hit the road.

I’ve been scouring forecasts in the region. I’m surrounded by wetness or low temperatures or both. It’s warmer in Baja Sur, but terribly humid. The same with the Texas coast, but with rain, too.

Some friends in the Rockies have been posting photos on Facebook showing them in knee-deep snow. I briefly think, “I could do that if I bundled up enough.” Then I come to my senses.

So I’m staying here a while longer. I’ll find ways to refocus my thoughts. Reading is a good way to do that. I’ll take my mind somewhere else rather than my body.

12 comments:

  1. Feelin' the same way in southern New Mexico. Bored as shit. My feet are itchin' ta head north, but it's too damn cold yet, and too much risk a snow. Forget east.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learn a useful new skill and master it even if it is something as practical(but unexciting) as learning to hand sew an attractive looking seam. Or make some small things to sell to improve your income. Write a song and learn to play it on a hand made flute. Learn a new "bush craft". Sure you can start out restless but you can teach yourself to become absorbed in a task by attempting to master it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post ... what the Buddhists call "dukkha."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this itch to be somewhere different is all the dukka I experience, then life is very good.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I think you're right, and I feel the same way. It's one of the reasons I read your blog each day

      Delete
  4. If you get the itch to share a meal, we are in the same area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We walked by your place earlier but didn't want to invade your privacy.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome anytime. (We'll, except when I'm on the bucket.)

      Delete
  5. If time and money wasn't a concern honestly where would you go? I'm thinking the five islands of our 50 state Hawaii! What say you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend just spent a month in Hawaii. Her reports had me checking airfares.

      However, there's a lot of the Southern Hemisphere I haven't seen.

      Delete