Friday, December 18, 2020

Fortunate one

There’s no question I’ve been lucky in many ways. All my life. I didn’t realize it when I was young (do we really realize anything when we’re kids?) but now I know I’m lucky.

Lately I’ve been thinking about how fortunate I am to be 68 years old with a body that functions fairly well. Yeah, there was the throat cancer, and infectious hepatitis in my twenties, but other than that I’ve been okay. Cross my fingers and knock on wood.

So far I’ve been spared the medical problems common to people my age. My heart, lungs and nervous system are fine. My back and joints are good. I have no chronic illnesses. I haven’t even had appendicitis or a broken bone. Amazing.

There were years I was terribly out of shape, but that was because of my habits, not a malfunctioning body. Now it looks like by systems have weathered the abuse much better than I had any right to expect. Thank you, genes.

My heart goes out to those who struggle, who suffer. That’ll be me someday.

4 comments:

  1. So far at 74 I am not medically hindered but all the "fun" I had has left me an orthopedic well worn OFM. It is not all bad since it slowed me down and now I look at it all in detail as I meander past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you never have to pass a kidney stone ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting to see where we were. It's now August 16, 2022 and I'm recognizing the significance of the Middle-eastern custom of asking about a person's and their family's health.

    It's been a while since you're last update on things at Los Mimbres Ranch. How ARE things?

    ReplyDelete