Sunday, August 29, 2021

Back at the canyon

It would be foolish to leave Flagstaff without making a run up to Grand Canyon. It was more crowded than the last time I was here, but not excessively so. It was a weekend, so that was to be expected. I strolled along the rim for a while before hitting the road to Las Vegas.


I had enough gas that the Rolling Steel Tent and I probably could’ve made it to Kingman, but I wanted to be safe. I knew gas in Tusayan (the tourist-oriented town just outside the park) would be ridiculously expensive because it had to be hauled all the way out there, and because, neener neener neener, where else are you going to get it, Mr. and Mrs. Tourist? I knew there was a station 20 miles south at the junction of 180 and 64, but it was just as outrageously priced—a buck and a quarter per gallon higher than in Flagstaff. I expected prices to be lower in Williams. Even though it’s sort of the gateway to Grand Canyon, it’s right on I-40, so fuel delivery should be no big expense. But the prices were even worse. It was a case of shameless exploitation, with probably a little collusion among the station owners. “Didn’t fill up before going to the canyon? Bwa-ha-ha! We got ya. Thought you’d be smart and fill up before going to the canyon? Bwa-ha-ha! We got ya.” So I gave them the one-finger salute and topped off the tank in Seligman.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the nice photos of the big hole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best gas price in Williams is the Love's Truck stop. Only low price station along the main drag in town is the Circle K. When at the grand canyon I would only buy just enough gas to get me to Williams if heading to I40. Or else stop at Valle at the junction of hwys 64 and 180 for just enough to get to Flagstaff via hwy 180. Which is what I will be doing on Tuesday when I leave the Kaibab forest camping a mile south of the entrance to the GC national park heading to Coconino Forest camping near Flagstaff. Mini heat wave commming, time to head into the hills for the next 14 day stay.

    ReplyDelete