Thursday, April 7, 2022

Night noises

As I drifted up out of sleep I became aware of a faint repetitive plik… plik… plik… plik… 

Huh? What’s that? water dripping?

I sat up and turned my head side to side, trying to ascertain the direction the sound was coming from. There was a brief pause, then plak… plak… plak… plak… plak… plak…

I moved toward the front of the Rolling Steel Tent, hoping it wasn’t a mouse gnawing on something. The sound seemed to come from outside. I had left a bag of collected litter by the door. Had a critter broken into the bag, (re)scattered the contents and was now trying to chew a discarded water bottle?

I stuck my head out. The bag was undisturbed. The elusive noise changed to KAK… KAK… KAK… KAK…

There were headlights about a hundred yards away silhouetting a figure. Ah, that’s it. Someone is trying to drive tent stakes into the rocky ground. Oh, the misery of desert pavement. Oh the misery of setting up camp in the dark. What time is it anyway? 2:38 AM. Someone had badly miscalculated travel time, or had trouble along the way. Here’s wishing better luck, amigo.

At least I didn’t have a rodent problem. That I knew of.

No comments:

Post a Comment