Friday, January 26, 2024

Another propane buying experience

I didn’t know how much propane I had left, but since I was in town anyway I decided to get my tank topped off. I didn’t want to go back to U-Haul, and the other locations Google Maps offered were out of my way. Eighth Street has proved to have necessary services without unnecessary hassles, so I drove along looking for propane dealers.

I spotted the familiar giant white wiener at an unexpected but very convenient place: a corner liquor store. (northwest corner of 8th Street and Avenue B) Not the usual combination of products, but who cares?

As soon as I walked in the amiable clerk asked, “Propane?”  Why yes. Maybe that’s the bulk of their business. As he hooked up my 1-gallon tank he commented, “We don’t get many of these small ones, but this is the third so far today.” 

The tank took a half gallon. “Just tell the guy inside point-five.”  The guy inside had no problems with taking my cash. All so easy.

There’s a water kiosk on the other side of the liquor store, but even better is the Desert Water Store on the southeast corner of 8th and Avenue B. It looks kind of shabby (except for the mural on the Avenue B side). They’re set up to handle anything from gallon jugs (me) to RV tanks (my friend Jason who clued me in on the place). Just tell the clerk inside how much you’re going to get, pay her, then pump away.

So, tortillas and marinaded beef or pork at Food City; laundry across the street; a car wash a couple of blocks away with catwalks for tall vehicles; water; propane; a number of Mexican restaurants; and a mini Walmart — all in one easy fuel saving trip on Eighth Street.

UPDATE: I was in the neighborhood of the water place today and decided to top off my two half-empty gallon jugs and the five-gallon bottle. Different clerk this time. When I told him I needed a couple of gallons or so he asked, “Like the small jugs?” I nodded. He smiled, rolled his eyes, and waved my money away. “Just take it. And have a nice day.” So I did. And I did.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very productive trip into town. Yay, you.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grass is greening in Rancho Mirage. I only found one sortof easily campable place -- out Fargo Canyon Rd -- but there was rumor of a friendly group over-nighting at the Walmart. The Palm Desert Aquatic Center pool was nice. I've forgotten if they charge a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checked the weather and it looks as if it'll be nice through the coming week then get chilly.

    ReplyDelete