Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Harina harina, tortillas más finas

I’ve been on the hunt for what I consider perfect flour tortillas. First of all, they need to be “soft taco size” so they’ll fit in my pan. That’s the easy part. 

What has been hard is finding thin ones. It seems someone has decided the world wants only thick tortillas. Nah, I’m not making sandwiches. I just want to wrap the filling and add a bit of charred flavor.

I’ve found thin flour tortillas a few times in the past, but when I go back for more, poof, they’re not around. But today I found what I think will be a reliable source: the house brand at Food City. They warmed up and toasted quickly, puffed up, and had that gluteny elasticity that’s perfect for rolling burritos.

So what’s in these burritos? A mix of ground beef, chorizo al pastor, refried beans, corn, and dehydrated hash browns, all cooked in chipotle sauce, and some cheese. ¡Muy sabroso!

2 comments: