Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Two propane buying experiences

My propane ran out this morning while making pancakes. Well, one flapjack is better than none. So I went into Yuma to refill the tank and pick up other items. Like perfect flour tortillas.

When I’m up in Quartzsite I get propane at Patty’s RV Park & Propane. It’s seldom busy and it’s a quick and simple process. I give the guy the tank, he hooks it up and pumps the ‘pane, I give him the money, he gives me the change, thanks are exchanged and I’m on my way. Maybe to make pancakes.

I’ve never bought propane in Yuma before, but I saw a U-Haul place on my way to the store. Getting a refill there was quite different, more formal. The guy started by inspecting my tank. Then he took a photo of the serial number. Then he asked my name and recorded it. Then he told me to stand on the other side of the barrier. The actual filling of the tank was the same as anywhere else. I imagine all these extra steps are to cover U-Haul’s ass. “If you gas yourself, catch on fire, or blow something up with a different tank, don’t come suing us.”

When I proffered my money, the guy rolled his eyes like I was giving something disgusting. He called the cashier and said, “He’s paying with cash.” I went into the office to pay, and the cashier gave me a stack of ones for my change, probably to show his distain. I think I’ll get my propane somewhere else next time.

4 comments:

  1. Nice tale. Annoying, no doubt, but nicely told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably lucky that your tank inspection was still up to date. Those tanks have to be inspected every so often. I had one out of date once and they wanted $50 to inspect it. Took it to a grocery store that sold prefilled propane tanks, traded it in for a new filled one, and turned in the old one. Got an inspected tank for about $8 more than if I had had it refilled at the place where they wanted to inspect it. Just something else to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought my tank only a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salt in the wound: Uhaul is also often quite expensive for propane fills

    ReplyDelete