Monday, October 14, 2024

Plans not going as planned

I know better than to try certain things. But the crucial part is to actually think about those things for at least a few seconds before heading off.

Yesterday’s error was my lack of thought about it not only being a popular travel season in southeastern Utah’s National Parks, but also a weekend. Also also a three-day weekend for many folks. So, again, if I had even thought about it, I would have known it was foolish to assume there would even be parking anywhere near a popular trailhead like Hickman Bridge/Cohab Canyon. I mean, I knew Scenic Drive was closed for repairs, crowding more visitors into less area. I knew there would be a mess at the visitor center because part the parking lot was being reconfigured and resurfaced. But doo-da-doo-doo-doo, off I went. And it was the worst crowd I had ever seen there.

I had a vague back-of-the-mind alternate “plan” though. I knew of a boondocking area on Notom-Bull Frog Road, on the eastern side of the park. I could hang there a day or two then return to my original plan. But I’m not the only one familiar with that boondocking spot. It was full, except for a very tilted spot right by the road. In addition, there was no cell service. Not good.

Okay, fine, I would continue east to Hanksville. I needed bread and there’s a grocery there. Then I would go north to where I wanted to do some hiking in the canyons near Goblin Valley State Park. But the grocery was closed, I guess because they believe in observing the Sabbath.

Okay, fine, I would continue on to Goblin Valley, even though I knew that area would also be crowded. At least it wouldn’t be as crowded as Capitol Reef.

I found a site, even though it’s not as scenic as I would prefer. The better spots were occupied. Of course. But at least I have solitude where I can give greater thought to my plans.

We got a smattering of rain in the night. Maybe that was enough to rinse away my stupidity.

3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful place, pretty much overrun now. Great sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some days are like that. When plans and backup plans don't work, it's not stupidity, just life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yuh know, we wuz front-o'-d'wave. Even with 4wd space has been, for the ladt few years, contracting, esp during winter.

    Youse might take a look at Two Happy Campers blog. They've been boondocking in Baja for awhile and have naught but good things to report.

    https://twohappycampers.com/

    ReplyDelete