Saturday, October 19, 2024

Welcome, much-needed rain. I’m out of here.

Storm’s a-brewin’

There had been attempts at rain the past week, with some brief successes. The long range forecasts for the region promised rain, with snow possible in some spots. The West needs rain. That doesn’t mean I have to enjoy it. It also meant it would be the wrong time to hike in the flood-prone canyons of southeastern Utah.

It’s also that time of year when the low elevations are still uncomfortably warm and the higher elevations are starting to freeze at night. Which tradeoff was I willing to make?

Underlying it all was my plan to return to southwestern New Mexico to vote. Yes, I could have voted by mail, but that would mean staying somewhere long enough to receive the ballot.

With more study of the forecasts and possible routes, I decided to make my way to Truth or Consequences/Elephant Butte. The weather looked to be dry and mild.

Thursday had been very windy and the sky clouded up earlier and more densely than previous days. It looked like serious rain was about to hit. The Rolling Steel Tent swayed all night. I was on the road south after breakfast.

Scenic Monument Valley

Then it started raining. Intermittent wipers at first, but constant speed by the time I passed Monument Valley. I stopped in Kayenta for a few supplies and got drenched while running into the market — and when running back to the van. 

The rain was steady and I expected the various washes and creeks to be flowing hard. But the earth had been so dry for so long that all the rain was being sucked up.

As I headed east from Ganado the raindrops got larger, then slushy. It was snowing but not really accumulating on the highway. Visibility wasn’t great but I followed the taillights of a tribal work truck over the pass and into Window Rock. The snow became rain again as we dropped in elevation.




It was mid afternoon so I stopped to get something to eat. I had originally thought I would get a room in Gallup and hang there a couple of days until the front passed. But I was tired. So even though Gallup was just 20 minutes down the road, I decided to get a room in Window Rock, the capital of the Navajo Nation. It’s quieter and far less crowded than Gallup. No Interstate, big rigs or trains.

Window Rock at Window Rock

The room is nice, the bed is comfortable, good wifi, hot running water, and free actual breakfast (not just a muffin). It froze overnight but it has thawed. There are patches of clear sky at the moment. But it’s still cold.

I’ll stay another night and then go to Elephant Butte State Park where the forecast is for days in the 70s and nights in the 40s. And no rain. Perfect vandwelling weather. I’ll probably buy a New Mexico Parks annual pass there, taking advantage of the lower price for us New Mexico residents.

Then it’s onward to Silver City and the Grant County clerk’s office to cast an early ballot. After that? We’ll see.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the weather report. NM is my birth state but I am a registered Texan. NM is full of incredible scenery in my opinion. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete