Wednesday, February 24, 2016

When last we met...

...I was in Ensenada, with 'net access. But I headed south to places where I didn't even have cell service. Oooo, web withdrawal. But I'm back where I can get at least a 3G signal, so here's an update.

Highway 1 is the main artery through the Baja peninsula. While sections of it are relatively new and built to modern specifications, a lot of it is old and beat up. Really beat up. It can be draining to drive. When I pulled out of Ensenada I expected to get to Bahia de los Angeles that day. But just past Cataviña I hit a mental wall. I saw a sign for a restaurant with RV camping and pulled in. (Lou had emailed me with a recommended spot in Cataviña, but I couldn't access email in that area. Besides, I had still been feeling somewhat energetic at the time.)

The campground was nothing fancy, but it was in the middle of the Area Natural Protegida Valle de los Cirios. The cirio (or boojum) tree is related to the ocotillo and can grow up to 70 feet tall. Like cacti, sometimes they grow as single stalks, looking like candles (cirio is Spanish for candle) and sometimes they grow multiple arms and get all twisty.

I went to the restaurant for dinner. Menu and beverage selections were very limited. I was hoping for something more regional and unusual, but the machaca burrito was good. And I slept like a log.

Bahia de los Angeles was an easy drive from there. I had a map (though I didn't know how current it was) of all the campgrounds there. One thing new was the freshly paved road on the north side of town. After checking out all the campgrounds (one of which looked abandoned and a couple of which were on the ugly side of "quaint") I picked on Dagget's. I spent several days, kicking back, staring at the sea, watching wildlife. Then three large RVs moved in, figuratively and literally cramping my style, so I moved on.


To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment