Saturday, March 12, 2016

Flexibility

Sometimes things get in the way of our plans. With luck, those things aren't serious. And, if you're like me, the thing that messes with our plans is often only oneself.

So, my plan yesterday was to leave Lake Havasu City and go to Ghost Town Road in Congress, Arizona. If there wasn't a good camping spot available there, then I'd move down the road to one of a couple of sites near Wickenburg.

There are two ways to get from Lake Havasu City to Congress, neither of them a straight line, unless you want to go off road. I chose the southern route only because I wanted to drive the California side of the Colorado River between Parker Dam and Parker. I hadn't been that way before. It would be something new. But first, laundry. Then supplies. Then another store for the things the first store didn't have. Then gas. And lunch.

One of the reasons for this relocation was to beat the heat. Lake Havasu is at 735 feet, Wickenburg is about 2,000 feet and Congress is about 3,000, therefore cooler. When I checked the weather forecast during lunch, I saw Saturday night at both places was going to be in the 30s. Woo, too cold. The intelligent thing would be to stay at Lake Havasu until it warmed up in Congress or Wickenburg. But my mind was already in travel mode. Must. Move. Forward.

Then, a little south of Parker, I felt fatigue creeping up on me. Maybe it was my body saying not to go to cold weather. Okay, but where? Quartzsite. Only a minor detour in the original route. Two sides of a right triangle instead of the hypotenuse.

So I'm at the Hi Jolly camping area north of town until tomorrow. It will be in the high 40s tonight instead of the mid 30s. That's not bad. And I can get a shower at the truck stop before I leave. Mmmmm. hot showers.

3 comments: