Monday, June 17, 2024

More time among the trees and ferns

In 1955 the small city of Arcata, California, started buying up contiguous tracts of redwood forest on the edge of town. What were they going to do with it? Nothing. They wanted to let the forest return to being just forest.

Until logging messed the place up, three creeks running through the forest used to attract spawning salmon and steelhead. They wanted to correct that. And those creeks were the city’s water source at the time.

Today nearly 800 acres of second growth redwoods are Arcata Community Forest with a network of hiking trails. So I went hiking this morning. As I walked I thought about the importance of this being a community forest, a resource benefiting the community rather than enriching a handful of people.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful lush green forest - peaceful walk - very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have no further information about the creeks, but I imagine they're in better shape than they were.

      Delete
  3. Truly a beautiful part of California.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that explains why the forests are still there. Lovely spot. BTW, I've left you a message on IG in case you wanted a local contact in BC for when you get there. Ming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm meeting up with one of Lou's sailing buddies who lives on VI. And I'll be connecting with a friend of mine in Surrey. But thanks for the offer.

      Delete
    2. Good to hear that you'll be taken care of. Looking forward to following along virtually, as usual.

      Delete