Friday, September 6, 2024

Rolling wood building

My friend, Tom, is an on-and-off nomad who seems to be settling into an extended off period. Maybe a permanent one. He bought a small bit of property in the high desert of Arizona and installed a prefabricated tiny house a while back. Then a couple of days ago he had a tiny barn delivered.

I had never witnessed the delivery of prefabricated buildings before. I had imagined it would be about the same as a shipping container brought to another friend’s place in Colorado: back the truck up to the designated spot, tilt the bed, slide structure off until one end hits the ground, then drive out from under it. Scrape thud scrape boom. But this was much fancier — and far more appropriate for stick-built structures rather than steel boxes.

The barn was slid off a low tilt-bed trailer by a small tractor/forklift. Then it was shoved down the driveway and nimbly maneuvered into place. Pretty slick.




Tom is pleased

As Tom explained his vision for the barn and the rest of the property I thought how different our needs, desires and goals were. He has grand plans while I was thinking if I got a piece of land (an idea that feels alien to me) the most I’d want is a sufficiently smooth access road, a patio/parking slab, and a pit toilet. A place to simply be — once in a while.

My ideals are different from Tom’s. They were different from Lou’s. And that’s okay. Universal agreement and conformity are not necessary. It’s only a problem if a person is unable to live the way that makes them happy. I’m lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Lately I have had folks (relatives and friends and others) not understand my lack of desire for a fixed dwelling anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any cholla in the pictures. Most folks don't care for it but Curve-billed Thrashers, distant cousins of nightingales, prefer it. Their song is ever-varied.

    Several years ago a family of roadrunners moved in. Along with some apache plume, sage and several yuccas, we have one of the few "natural" yards in what is otherwise an urban wasteland defined by Roundup.

    The amazing diversity near Young, AZ, may offer some food for thought about plantings...in case Tom has inclinations.

    https://newmexnomad.blogspot.com/2015/05/the-high-road-to-young-arizona.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete