Thursday, January 3, 2019

Chillin’ in the desert

Sometimes Canadians aren’t all that blows into Arizona from the frozen regions. It has been annoyingly cold (by local standards) the past couple of days. The forecast for last night predicted sub-freezing temperatures. Definitely double quilt time.

When it gets down to about 55°F/12.7°C in the Rolling Steel Tent I fire up the heater for a few minutes to take the chill off. But this morning the thermometer said 37°F/2.7°C. Yow. But I felt okay after I heated the van to 50°F/10°C. It’s all relative.

I’ve been colder in the van. In October of 2013 I was in southern Utah when it got down to 26°F/-3.3°C. Frost on the inside of the windows, ice in the water jugs, painfully cold feet. I don’t want to do that again. I do not understand people who camp in freezing temperatures on purpose.

7 comments:

  1. Some of those winter campers do it in tents, and think it's fun. Thats a whole nother level of toughness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My yard had nearly 3" of snow fall between dawn and 11AM yesterday. I win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't come to southern AZ for no stinkin' SNOW

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mornings are the worst. One April morning at 8000ft in CO, it was -15C/5F. WAY too cold to make coffee, so I had to just drive away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At my Fraternity in Bozeman Montana we called the sleeping room "Siberia"; the outside temp was almost the same as inside. Guys didn't seem to mind.

    ReplyDelete