Tuesday, July 2, 2024

If a tree falls in the forest...

…and I’m there to hear it, it does make a sound. 

Crack-crackity BOOM-A!

It was somewhere nearby. I wandered in the direction I thought the noise came from — and there it was, about 25 yards away, lying across an ATV trail with broken limbs scattered about. It smelled like Christmas.

It wasn’t a big tree (see my foot for scale) but it's large enough to do serious damage to you or your vehicle. The way the root ball pulled out of the ground I’m guessing it had been leaning for some time and it finally reached the literal tipping point. Gravity wins again.




I’ve been trying to make friends with the forests. Their cozy embrace which makes them appealing also makes me feel a little claustrophobic. I can’t see very far. I can’t see the horizon. I can’t see where I'm going until I'm almost there. I can’t see what’s coming until it’s almost here. Bears. Cougars. Crazy old hermits. And trees might fall.

Fortunately, that blocked trail isn’t the way out of here. I’m in a decent sized clearing surrounded by big healthy looking trees. There’s not much of a wind. But that one leaning tree.............. I should probably move out of range.

If you’re going to spend a considerable amount of time camping in forests, you probably want to have an ax or saw in case you need to clear a downed tree from your route. Lumberjack clothing is optional.

4 comments:

  1. I found that a come-a-long, some chain/strap/rope to occasionally be a big help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit of followup: In the photo of the roots, notice they've grown wide but not deep, meaning the tree and all others in the area aren't anchored all that well. This is because of the region's relatively thin topsoil layer with rock beneath. The soil here started as layers of volcanic ash from as recent (geologically speaking) as 7,000 years ago. Ash breaks down slowly, creating soil that's loose, sandy and porous. So, in a way, it's remarkable these tall trees are standing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those aren’t Altra shoes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I like variety. I have the Altras, these New Balances, some Crocks, and some Keen hiking shoes. What they have in common are wide toe boxes and the happiness they provide me.

      Delete