Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Driving and relaxing and hiking and fish tacos

It felt like it was time to move along. Things had been fine in Crescent City, but a week there was enough for now. Arcata was calling.

Arcata is only an hour and a half drive down US-101, but there are nice scenic things between — mostly Redwood National and State Parks and several beaches. I would take my time and actually stop at places I had driven past before. No destination fixation this time. But first a stop at the Elk Valley Tribal Fuel Mart to top off the tank with lower-priced gas.

It was still overcast when I got to Wilson Creek Beach. I hadn’t eaten so I fixed brunch and did some reading. The sky eventually cleared and it was a beautiful day. (True, overcast days at the ocean can be beautiful in their own way, but sunny ones are better.)

Various people came. Some just to spend a few minutes, some to spend the day. The most unexpected ones were an Amish-like family. Hey, everyone likes the beach.





Next on the list was Hidden Beach Trail. The trailhead is across the highway from Trees of Mystery — the place with the big Paul Bunyan and Babe statues. I had been there before, so I headed straight to the trail instead. The sign said it was a half mile, but a couple of steep inclines made it feel farther to this old geezer. The last bit of trail from the bluff to the beach was extra steep and had patches loose gravel and leaves to make footing dicey.





Once at the bottom you have to pick your way through washed up tree trunks and sizable rocks. But it’s all worth it, particularly with the perfect weather. There was a couple there who left shortly after I arrived, and two guys who arrived shortly before I left. Otherwise I was alone. Just me and the sea.




I made a couple of quick stops father south. The first was at Big Tree Wayside. The Big Tree is just a few steps from the parking lot. The Park Service demonstrated its sense of humor with this sign post.

More trails branch off from there. I took a loop trail. Indeed, there were more big trees that way.

Finally, just a hop down the road, was the trailhead for Atlas Grove. I didn’t realize it was so close to The Big Tree that I could have walked there. Oh well. Except for a family headed in the other direction I was the only one there. I sat on a bench for a while just getting my forest fix.






The last stop before Arcata was LoCo Fish Co, a food truck next to a gas station in McKinleyville. Locally sourced fish, choice of fried or grilled. I got two fish tacos. They’re standard with flour tortillas but you can get corn tortillas upon request. I went with grilled and corn. The tacos were as delicious as the fish sandwich I had there the last time I was in the area.

I was a little surprised how in the five weeks since I left Arcata I had forgotten some of my way around town. Was that parking spot off K Street or L? On 5th or 7th? And which streets are one way? Old man brain, I guess. I eventually found the spot I was looking for and settled in. Ah, home again.

3 comments:

  1. A reminder: the Cotati Accordion Fest is this weekend. I know it doesn't sound like much, esp if you're, like me, not much of an accordion enthusiast. But this is California at its delightfulest best.

    A tad expensive...

    17.00 for one day senior discounted ticket purchased in advance through our e-shop.
    $21.00 for one day senior discounted ticket purchased at the gate.

    $26.00 for two day senior discounted ticket purchased in advance through our e-shop.
    $30.00 for two day senior discounted ticket purchased at the gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyday I see Cotati in print! I left there a long time ago.. I'm guessing this is not happening in the little park there in middle of downtown...

      Delete
  2. Remember the days when we would take such detailed notes but never had to rely on them? Now ... I don't even know where the newest notepad is.

    ReplyDelete