Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The literal and metaphorical less beaten path

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by

A friend had been researching possible quiet and uncrowded woodland hikes in the general Eureka area. He shared one of his finds with me, a trail along the Elk River. Events were such that I was able to go there first.

Once there I discovered there were two established trails. One was paved, wide, and flat. The other was none of those and looked far more interesting. So that’s the one I chose, of course. And though there were a couple of hills that had me panting I was happy with my choice.




That’s essentially how my life has been the past eleven years. First there was the huge diversion from my life’s paved, wide, flat path. Goodbye boring existence in a house; hello road less traveled by. That put me on a path of mental, spiritual, and physical growth. It reignited my ambition and will to live. And though there have been a couple of metaphorical hills to climb, I’m very happy with my choice.

2 comments:

  1. I continue to be amazed at peoples' willingness to live cheek-by-jowel. They seem impervious to, even to *enjoy* the noise...as if it imbues excitement.

    We moved frequently when I was young. Growing up in Japan & Germany, I had some perspective on America's materialism & prudery.

    Pastoral and/or sustainable nomadicism seem ideal.

    Kristen is spending a week on Balboa Isle. For a look at the way other folks (in the hood) live:

    http://www.bcre.com/most-expensive-newport-coast-homes.php#:~:text=The%20Pelican%20Hill%2C%20Pelican%20Crest,24%20hour%20guard%20gated%20communities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely outstanding. I have been a long reader of your posts. I generally never comment on any post anywhere. To comment disturbs my peace. However this piece you've written reminded me why I hit the road in 2017. I'm not on the road anymore for a variety of reasons but I miss it all the same. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete