Thursday, August 29, 2024

Vanniversary! Time for a change of direction

Yesterday marked eleven years of radically changing my life by doing the van life thing. I still love it! And I’ve really enjoyed hanging out in the Pacific Northwest this summer. But the past week or so I’ve been thinking I need to do something besides walk in the forest and stare at the ocean. Something useful (not that bliss doesn’t have its purposes).

Then a friend in northern Arizona said he could use some help winterizing the pre-fab tiny home he has on his bit of land. So farewell for now to the land of redwoods and rocky beaches, hello junipers and sage, with Ponderosa pines on the side.

I hit the road yesterday and put in over 300 miles. I’m about to head out again this morning, sticking pretty much to the coast. I’ll pause before slogging through Southern California traffic and making the mad (as in I must be crazy) dash through the still-too-hot desert. 

I spent the past few vanniversaries at Grand Canyon. I’ll do the same a few days late, then it’s tool time. I wonder how quickly I’ll readjust to higher elevation after three months at sea level.

Meanwhile, here are my last beach photos for a while. These are at the Lost Coast, the least developed, least populated, and least accessible section of the California coastline.





5 comments:

  1. It's been too long since I saw the Grand Canyon... I had to look, it's been 6 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAH! Check out that grasshopper green! No "color fear" here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your lime green shirt

    ReplyDelete