Monday, October 9, 2017

Luck is not a plan

Saturday I posted how lucky I am. Today I added a donation button. (See it over there on the right?) Is that hypocrisy, or simply not pushing my luck?

I'm not a Blanche DuBois, always depending upon the kindness of strangers, but I'll accept help when offered and needed.

I've supported myself my entire adult life. That's a point of pride. But the fact is, Social Security and occasional video editing jobs don't leave me with the level of discretionary income I used to have. These days my safety net is about the size of a doily. Meanwhile, the van keeps getting older and things wear out. It'll need tires in a couple of years. Probably a starter battery. And right now I'm fairly certain it needs new motor mounts. And so on into the future, including replacing the Rolling Steel Tent some day.

I'm totally aware some of my readers need financial help, too. I'm not asking for their money. But if you're feeling a little flush, a little generous, and if you've already helped those who need it more than I do, I would be grateful.

I'm not broken down in the middle of nowhere. This isn't a big GoFundMe thing. It's a few bucks here, a few bucks there, just trying not to be hit as hard on that eventual rainy day.

The PayPal account this goes to is inconvenient for me to access, so that money will stay separate from my regular funds. The donations won't be spent on daily needs.

How can you trust me? Don't. Ask around, see if I'm sufficiently honest and trustworthy. See if I'm worth it.

8 comments:

  1. I believe you are honest and trustworthy. But I don't trust PayPal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too was dubious, but after a conversation with my Well's Fargo banker, was reassured. Paypal is worldwide. Unlike politicians, their reputation is grounded in their efficacy.

      Delete
  2. Why don't you just make videos of your travels and join the rest of the e-beggars at the bottom of yousTubes?

    Maybe all you need an e-book from akrvbob's GF to get 20K subs in 20 days?

    I hope this helps, sorry I can't contribute but I just have SSD for income and if I gave you any of the $40K I have in the bank I might end up destitute and living in a van full-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Rolling Alum Tent: I too live on SS but manage to donate here and there; I'm selective about my contributions though. But I'm skeptical of the idea that giving away ANY of your 40k is gonna result in your destitution and a life of full-time vanning. Which, by the way, is, in my esteemed opinion, FAR more splendid a lifestyle than sedentaryness.

      Delete
  3. You are a creative person. You have a mind and you have skills. No need to put up a paypal button. Just get to work and create something of monetary value that is desired by others. It could be a physical product or it could be a digital download. It is best to have some diversity in how you earn income. The nice thing is the time it takes to design a product or perhaps something such as an online tutorial keeps paying over and over and over for a number of years. People sell digital downloads of photos, you have good photos, no reason you can't do that. You can do yearly calendars, the business end of it is handled by the online printing companies, you get a rights use fee. That can as good a trickle as a paypal button. You are a writer, you can self publish and sell articles, stories and such on Amazon and other sites, that is another trickle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a Paypal button on my blog too. I've been astonished by the kindness and generosity of strangers and consider its manifestations a source of interesting sociological interaction. There are folks who have enough discretionary income and "helping" makes them feel good. Not everyone feels the need for a tangible return. I support the button! Ya!!

      Delete
  4. I'm having a more repairs and preventative maintenance done on my van right now than I thought I would need so I know how these expenses can mount. This after having my van mainly idle for a couple of years of while I have needed to be in my hometown. But soon I will be happy to donate a small amount to your fund. You contribute and create a product many of us enjoy...your observations and photos and the sharing of information to show the way (and even the parking spaces LOL). So, yes, put the contributions away for your rainy day and know it is okay to allow your readers to show their appreciation when they can. I will be getting back to writing novels.. my three had served me well for extra funds but are now a few years old as I have not tried to write while I was caretaking. I think you'd have a decent novel or two in you, but it may not be your thing. So keep doing what you do so well here.

    ReplyDelete