Thursday, January 31, 2019

Fools of the trade

Jeff and I worked in advertising for many years. Then he decided to make an honest living as a comic, juggler, magician and clown. Jeff is always working on new material for his various acts and trying it out on friends. Much of his schtick depends upon puns. So did his advertising work. It’s a transferable skill (or curse).

I, too, walked away from advertising with a skill/habit that’s either useful or annoying, depending on how and where I use it. One way to come up with new ideas is to try turning a statement around. For example, someone says, “There are too many hats.” And I reply, “Or maybe there are just too few heads.”

This or maybe trick might spark an idea. It might only be silliness to keep my brain from locking up. Sometimes (rarely) it leads to great truths.

But like Jeff’s incessant punning, I forget there’s a proper time and place for my or maybe habit. And it’s seldom in social situations or online discussions. Used among people who don’t get what I’m doing, or maybe can seem like criticism of the other person’s ideas, values or perception of reality instead of a fun way to keep a conversation going.

Or maybe is also about exploring options. “Yes, that’s a good idea. Or maybe we could do it this way. Or this way. Or this way…” I really like options. But unless the author of the first idea has thick skin and knows how or maybe is used, they could take it as rejection. Or a waste of time if we end up going with the original idea after all.

What does this have to do with wandering around in the Rolling Steel Tent? Nothing. Or maybe everything.

1 comment:

  1. I find that viewing things from a different perspective is helpful more often that not. Even it it simply affirms your first position.

    ReplyDelete