Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Beggars and thieves

Today I'm at a campground near Davis Lake, Oregon. When I pulled in, the place was swarming with chipmunks. Aw, so cute, scurrying around with their tails in the air. Oh, look! They're creeping toward the open side door. Maybe one will pay a visit.

If you can't beat 'em, photograph 'em

Yup. Totally fearless. Climb right in. Snoop around for something to eat as if I weren't there. One ran under the bed, sniffing out the back way into the food cupboard. Hey! Get out of there! While I was chasing that one out, another made a frontal assault on the wastebasket.

Yelling, stomping, clapping, waving a whisk broom at them... They didn't care much. They'd dash out of reach then come right back. They were motivated. Hungry. Or maybe high on some other camper's Cool Ranch Doritos.

So I've had to close up the side door. That's a bit of a bummer. The windows are open and the vent fan is on, but it's still warm in the Rolling Steel Tent. Time for me to set up outside. Maybe I could borrow someone's dog to keep the chipmunks away.

1 comment: