Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Ambiguous ambidexterity

The thing on the end of the driver side sun visor broke off long ago. The previous owner attempted a repair, but it broke. I attempted a repair, but it broke, too.

I researched the prices of a replacement visor. Sellers of official GM parts wanted $105.00. For one plain visor. No mirror. No light. No exotic animal hide. Sellers on eBay wanted $53.00. Much better, but still ridiculously priced. I could call around to salvage yards to see if they had Expresses or Savanas out back with unbroken, un-blood-spattered visors, but that could take a long time.

Then I had another thought. I studied the visors closely. "You know, I think the left and right visors are identical. Well, except for the yellow warning sticker on the left one." I was correct. For a change.

The former passenger side visor in its new home

Now I can spend who-knows-how-many years contemplating what to do with the unused clip and mounting plate on the Rolling Steel Tent's passengerless passenger side. Suggestions, anyone?


3 comments:

  1. Pencil holders?? Clipped sideways in one and stuck end-on in the other.

    When it comes to actually visering the sun I use a ball-cap which I find much more effective and versatile, but I still have to have two visors in my van (The Van), otherwise what would hold the window-shade in place?? (And we all know how sad looking a droopy window-shade is!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Move it to the back of the van and use it as a hanger when changing cloths... a formal shirt when going to a date, for example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple suggestion. Put the van on a Matson ship to Hawaii. Buy a lei. Hang the lei from the hook.

    ReplyDelete