Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Size matters

In the sea battle we call the Defeat of the Spanish Armada (not to be confused with the Nissan Armada which has been all but defeated in the US market), smaller English vessels were able to outmaneuver the huge Spanish galleons. Also, the smaller English ships were harder to hit. Those factors, plus some bad decisions by Spanish command, led to English victory. It’s an example of smaller sometimes being better.

So here I am, about 5,000 miles and four and a half centuries from the Defeat of the Spanish Armada, thinking about how size can be a detriment. I’m thinking about flies. There have only been a few of them, but they’re big. So they’re kind of slow, especially compared to the tiny flies I’ve encountered elsewhere that buzz back and forth, around and around, in my face and ears, rarely landing where I can swat them. Those flies are like the English navy, and the big ones I have now are like the Spanish: slow and easy to hit. I’m seven for seven so far today.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy a good historical analogy, but unless you are smaller than the flies, aren't YOU the Spanish Armada galleon? I don't think this bodes well for you, Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need an Electric skeeter-fly-whatever bugs ya..$10. or less..It's also great entertainment, especially at night to see the flashes as those buggers explode!
    Great fun!

    ReplyDelete